Animal welfare is very important to DK Company, and it is crucial to us that no animals are harmed in order to produce our products. Whenever animals are used for materials in our products, they must be fed and treated with dignity and respect, according to animal welfare laws, standards, and recommendations, including the “Five Freedoms”, as defined by the Farm Animal Welfare Council.
• Freedom from Hunger and Thirst by ready access to fresh water and diet to maintain health and vigor.
• Freedom from Discomfort by providing an appropriate environment including shelter and a comfortable resting area.
• Freedom from Pain, Injury or Disease by prevention or rapid diagnosis and treatment.
• Freedom to Express Normal Behavior by providing sufficient space, proper facilities, and company of the animal’s own kind.
• Freedom from Fear and Distress by ensuring conditions and treatment which avoid mental suffering.
Ending the lives of animals must always be handled using the quickest and the least painful method available, and approved by national and acknowledged veterinarians, and only conducted by trained personnel.
This animal welfare policy applies to all relevant business partners of DK Company and is valid for all brands within DK Company.
DOWNS AND FEATHERS
• DK Company does not accept the practice of live plucking. We only use feather or downs from birds that are a by-product of birds bred for the food industry, but not to produce Foie Gras.
Goal: By 2021 we will source 100% of our down in line with industry best practices. (e.g. RDS Responsible Down Standard)
• The use of fur is banned in the production of all DK Company brands.
• The use of all Angora Wool is banned in the production of all DK Company brands.
LEATHER AND EXOTIC SKINS
• We only accept the use of leather from animals that have been bred for the food industry.
• We aim to source leather from areas where the rainforest isn´t cut down to make room for farms.
• DK Company will not use any materials derived from species that appear on the list of *CITES1 and IUCN2.
*CITIES1 (Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species), and the IUCN (International Union for Conservation of Nature) Red list of Critically endangered; Endangered; or Vulnerable listed species.
Goal: By 2021 we will source 100% of our leather from tanneries with a minimum of Bronze level according to LWG (Leather Working Group)
To ensure our value chain comply with above-mentioned requirements, we follow the following procedures:
• All new suppliers in DK Company must sign our Supplier Manual when starting a business relationship
with us. When signing the supplier manual, they commit to complying with the requirements of our
animal welfare policy, which is included in the suppler manual along with our Code of Conduct and other
requirements relating to responsible sourcing.
• To ensure that above requirements are complied with, suppliers must provide certificates performed by
a credible standard. (e.g. RDS, RWS or LWG.) The certificates required must be a valid Scope certificate,
that documents they are certified to produce goods to the given standard, and a Transaction certificate,
which is issued each time goods are shipped.